What are the Symptoms and Treatment of Food Allergy
What are the symptoms and treatment of food allergy
Before discuss this topic, let us discuss what an allergy is?
Allergy – The sensitivity of a person to certain substances such as pollens, dust, and certain food like fish and egg, serum, and certain drugs or fabrics and many more is called allergy.
If we visit any garden or park enjoys with large number of flowers that producing fragrance but some people are exposed to dust or pollen may start sneezing, and feeling uncomfortable . Some people eat eggs and fish which are rich in protein and develop a rash due to which the skin becomes red and swells. Such persons are said to be sensitive or allergic to certain things that enter their body through the air they breathe or through the food they eat.
It is important to note that these substances are ordinarily harmless to most of the people such as eggs and fish are rich nutritious foods which are eaten by many people without getting any ill –effects. But the same foods which are harmless for most of the people can produce allergic reactions in a few persons.
Allergy occurs due to the malfunctioning of the immune system of the body of the person concerned. The unfavorable response of the body to certain substances such as certain foods, dust, pollen, serum, and certain drugs and fabrics is called allergic reactions.
Most of the allergies or allergic reactions can be prevented just by avoiding the allergy causing substances. The persons that are allergic to fish should avoid eating fish and the persons who are allergic to dust should avoid remaining in dusty places as far as possible and cover their nose and mouth properly with a handkerchief in dusty places. Though allergy is a condition of diseased or a disease, it can also cause further diseases such as an important disease caused by allergy or allergic reactions is asthma.
Gluten allergy – It is that type of allergy which is caused by proteins is present in rye, barley and wheat. Gluten allergy is the common problem among people.
Symptoms of Allergy – There are several allergy symptoms depend upon the substance which involved can affect sinuses, skin, nasal passages and digestive systems. Allergies can be severe for life-threatening reaction known as anaphylaxis.
There are several types of symptoms of allergy which are as given below –
- Symptoms of insect sting allergy
- Chest tightness,
- Problem in breathing
- Symptoms of drug allergy
- Facial swelling
- Itchy skin
- Symptoms of allergic rhinitis
- Runny, stuffy nose
- Watery, red or swollen eyes (conjunctivitis).
- Itching of the roof of the mouth, eyes, or nose of a patient
- Symptoms of food allergy
- Swelling of the tongue, lips, face tongue or throat
- Tingling in the mouth
Let us discuss food allergy definition
Food allergy – This type of allergy is a reaction of immune system which occurs after taking the food. When a little amount of food which causes allergy can causes several problems such as hives or swollen airways, digestive system and many more problems. In the extreme cases of food allergy, it can causes severe symptoms which is danger for life called as anaphylaxis.
These items of foods which are commonly cause an allergic reaction are as given below –
- Tree nuts
- Some fruits and vegetables
Majority of the children which are suffered with food allergy will have experienced eczema during infancy.
Symptoms of food allergy – This type of allergy may be uncomfortable but not severe. In some cases of food allergy it can be severe for the person and even to death. After taking the food, generally food allergy symptoms develop in a few minutes to two hours.
There are several symptoms of food allergy which are as given below –
- Dizziness, lightheadedness or fainting
- Tingling or itching in the mouth
- Swelling of the tongue, face, lips, and throat or other parts of the body
- Nasal congestion
- Problem in breathing
- Skin rash
- Abdominal pain,
Testing of food allergy – There are several food allergy testing which are as given below –
- Blood test – In this type food allergy blood test, blood is drawn from the patient that checks for IgE antibodies which are particular to certain food proteins.
- Skin prick test – In this test, diluted food are placed on the arm of the patient and then the skin is pierced. After that, if there is any allergic reaction, such as swelling, itching, or redness then it is examine that there is some kind of allergy.
- Avoid suspected food – When you avoid suspected food for to 6 weeks then examine that it is allergic or not for you.
Treatment of food allergy – The best solution or food allergy treatment is to identify the food which causes the allergy and avoid that certain food. We should avoid that foods which causes nausea, vomiting,, swelling , rashes on skin and many more.
Medicines for allergy – There are some allergy medicine to prevent allergy which are as given below
- Epinephrine (adrenaline) – This medicine is used by those patients who have food allergies which may result in anaphylaxis. This medicine maintains blood pressure of a patient by constricting blood vessels, as well as easing the airways.
- Antihistamines – It is used as a tablets, gels, or liquids, generally this medicine are effective for those patients which are suffered with mild or moderate allergies.