What are the Different Types of Breast Cancer?
What are the Different Types of Breast Cancer?
There are several types of cancer which are very harmful and serious disease for both men and women in country as well as in all over the world. Breast cancer is one of the serious diseases especially in women.
Let us discuss what breast cancer is?
Breast cancer – It is that type of cancer which originates in the cells of the breast. Breast cancer is one of the most common cancers especially in women after skin cancer in U.S. Breast is the main part of body of a person especially in women which is made up of three parts such as ducts, lobules and connecting tissue. The lobules is an important part of the breast which produce milk, Ducts are tubes which carry milk to the nipple. The connecting tissue is made up of fibrous and fatty tissue that surrounds and holds everything together. Majority of the breast cancers begin in the ducts or lobules. This type of cancer can spread outside the breast via blood vessels and lymph vessels. Breast cancer can occur in both men and women but this cancer is most common in women.
In this type of cancer, the uncontrolled cancer cells invade other healthy breast tissue and can move to the lymph nodes under the arms. The lymph nodes are a main pathway which helps the cancer cells move to the other parts of the body.
Symptoms of breast cancer – In the early stage of breast cancer, it may cause any symptoms of this disease. There are many cases in which a tumor may be very small to be felt, but an abnormality can still be seen on a mammogram.
There are several signs of breast cancer which are given below –
- There is change in the size, shape or appearance of a breast.
- Rashes on or around nipples.
- Flaking, peeling or scaling of the skin on the breast or nipple.
- There is dimpling or any other changes in the skin of the breast.
- There is redness or pitting of the skin over the breast such as the skin of an orange.
- There is observance of inverted ripples.
- This type of cancer lumps or thickening in your breast that feels is quite different from tissues in the surrounding area.
- There is pain in the armpits or breast which does not change with the monthly cycle.
- There is swelling in all or part of the breast
Causes of breast cancer – The breast of a woman consists of thousands of lobules and fat connecting tissue which produce milk for baby. There are small tubes or ducts that carry milk to the nipple.
At the time of cancer, the cells of the body increases uncontrollable. This excessive growth of cells causes cancer due to the tumor uses nutrients and energy and deprives the cells around it.
This type of cancer starts in the internal lining of milk ducts or the lobules which provide milk for babies. It can spread in all parts of the body.
Stages of breast cancer – This cancer can be divided into different stages in which how large tumors and how much it can spread. There are several breast cancer stages which are discussed below -
- Stage 1 breast cancer – In this stage of breast cancer, the size of the tumor is about 2 centimeters but it has not affected any lymph nodes due to small groups of cancer cells in the lymph nodes.
- Stage 2 breast cancer – The size of the tumor increases over than 2cm and begins for spreading to nearby nodes or has not spread towards the lymph nodes.
- Stage 3 breast cancer – In this stage, the size of the tumor increases up to 5cm and it has spread to many lymph nodes.
- Stage 4 breast cancer – In this stage, the cancer has spread to distant organs such as lungs, bones, brain and liver.
Types of breast cancers – There are several types of breast cancer and divided into two main groups invasive and non invasive in which invasive cancer has spread from the breast ducts or glands to other parts of the breast and noninvasive cancer has not spread from the original tissue.
- Non invasive breast cancer – In this type of breast cancer, it is actually present in the breast ducts which do not ability to grow outside the region of the breast. Most of the cases of this type of cancer it is found during the mammogram itself and it does not appear as the lump in the breast.
- Invasive breast cancer – In this type of breast cancer, it occurs in the lining of cells of the breast ducts which is also known as the invasive ductal breast cancer. This type of cancer may spread outside the breast but it is not means that it will surely spread.
Inflammatory breast cancer – This type of cancer is aggressive but it is a rare disease. Inflammatory breast cancer occurs only in between 1 and 5 percent Trusted Source of all breast cancer cases. It causes the breast swelling, feel very warm and look red. In this type of cancer cells block the lymph nodes near the breast thus the lymph vessels in the breast cannot properly drain. It appears pitted and thick likes as a orange peel.
Triple-negative breast cancer – This type of cancer is another rare type cancer which affects only about 10 to 20 percent of people with breast cancer. It is difficult to treat due to hormonal therapy for breast cancer is not effective
Metastatic breast cancer – This type of cancer occur in stage 4 breast cancer. It spread from the breast to other parts of the body such as lungs, bones and liver. Metastatic breast cancer is an advanced stage of breast cancer. The aim of treatment of this type of cancer is stopping the growth and spread of the tumor or tumors.
Male breast cancer – The breast cancer in men is much rarer. Men can also get cancer As per American Cancer Society (ACS), breast cancer is 100 times are less common in white men than in white women, and 70 times less common in black men than in black women.
Breast cancer treatment – In this type of cancer, the main aim of the treatment is to prevent the growth of cancerous cells from the body. To start treatment, first of all determine the size and stage of the cancer. In most of the cases of breast cancer, surgery is the most common treatment of breast cancer. There is several other treatment of breast cancer such as targeted therapy, chemotherapy, radiation, or hormone therapy.
Risk factors – There are some breast cancer risk factors which increases the chances of possibility of breast cancer are as given below –
- Drink alcohol – Large amount of drinking alcohol increases the risk of breast cancer.
- Age – The increases in age of a person which also increase the risk of breast cancer. Most of the cases of invasive breast cancers are found in women over age of 55.
- Genes – Those women that have BRCA1 and BRCA2 gene mutations are more expected to develop breast cancer than women who don’t have.
- Previous breast cancer - If a person has had earlier breast cancer in one breast, then an increased risk of developing breast cancer in another breast for that person.