Ivermectin Uses for Covid
Ivermectin is an antiparasitic medication that can be used in preventing and treating acariasis and heartworm that works through several mechanisms of action, which result in the death of the targeted parasites. This medicine can be taken by mouth or applied to the skin for external infestations and belongs to the ivermectin family of medicines.
In the year 1975, Ivermectin was discovered and first promoted as veterinary medicine in the year 1981. This medicine is approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration as an antiparasitic agent and is listed as an essential medicine on the World Health Organization. Ivermectin was the 420th most prescribed medication with more than one hundred thousand prescriptions in the United States in the year 2018 and is available as a generic medicine.
During the coronavirus pandemic, there is misinformation has been broadly claiming that this medicine is beneficial in preventing and treating covid-19. This claim is not supported by reliable scientific evidence. The World Health Organization, the Food and Drug Administration, and the European Medicines Organization have not approved this medicine for the treatment of covid-19.
Uses – This medicine is used in the treatment of parasitic diseases. It is also used as an effective treatment of other diseases such as intestinal strongyloidiasis, and onchocerciasis.
How to use – Take this medicine via mouth with a full glass of water as per prescribed by your doctor. This medicine should be taken 1 hour before a meal and is normally taken as a single dose as prescribed by your doctor. Before taking this medicine, you should follow all the directions that are posted on this medicine. You can take more than one dose of medicine if you have a weak immune system due to any disease or medicines. This medicine must be stored at room temperature that is away from heat and moisture.
Dosage instructions – The dose of this medicine may depend on your medical condition, weight, and response to therapy.
- Missed dose – If you miss a dose then take it as soon as possible to prevent the missed dose. But do not take a double dose of this medicine as it may be harmful to your health.
- Overdose – The overdose of this medicine may cause several side effects and be harmful to your health. So, if you accidentally take an overdose of this medicine then immediately contact to your doctor.
Side effects – There are some of the side effects of this medicine are given below –
- Muscle aches
- Joint pain
- Vision problem
- Lymph nodes
- Back pain
- Problem in breathing
Precautions – There are several important precautions before or after taking this medicine are discussed below –
- If you are an allergic problem from this medicine do not take this medicine as it may harmful for your health.
- You should tell your medical history to your doctor before taking this medicine for any treatment.
- After taking this medicine, do not drive any vehicle or any other physical activity due to this medicine making you sleepy or dizzy that may increase the risk of accidents or an injury.
- During medication, do not take a large amount of alcohol as it may cause side effects that are not good for your health.
- If you are pregnant then consult with your doctor before taking this medicine as it may harmful for your unborn baby.
- This medicine is not prescribed for those children who weigh less than 15 kg.
- You should consult with your doctor before using this medicine if you are suffering from a liver or kidney problem.