How to treat Mask Related Acne Breakouts
In the previous year, coronavirus is spread all over the world including India in which crores are affected and millions are death. Thus, a mask is necessary for people to prevent the spread of Covid-19 all around the world in several public places such as malls, restaurants, markets, and many more. Due to wearing a mask, acne breakouts are a common disease and are also known as ‘’Maskne’’. It is a side-effect of wearing masks for a long period. Masks are also causing several other skin problems such as irritation, bumpiness, and redness.
Common Maskne Skin Condition
It is a general word that can be used for describing several skin problems due to wearing masks are as given below –
- Contact Dermatitis – This problem occurs when you are allergic to the fabric of your mask and can cause a red rash along with irritation and blisters.
- Acne – This problem occurs when your skin pores get clogged with dirt, oil, and dead skin cells and may cause to develop pimples whiteheads, and blackheads.
- Folliculitis – It is a type of infection with your hair follicles that causes bumps and appears like an acne breakout. You can also suffer from some pain and itchiness on the affected site.
Causes of Maskne
Mask-related acne breakouts occur due to wearing a mask for a long time and various skin conditions. Thus, the causes and symptoms may differ in several skin problems. Most of the cases of maskne are caused due to clogged pores. But when we wear the mask on the face then these substances can accumulate and clog our skin pores. Mask also entraps humidity due to sweating and breathing. So, it increases the risk of developing acne on our face.
The fabric of a mask can run against your skin that causes chafing and irritation which is another cause of acne breakout. Chafing is a skin problem, which is caused by the combination of friction, irritating fabrics, and moisture.
There are some of the treatments of Maskne or skin problems which are as discussed below:
- Washing your face – You can wash your face and hands daily due to pandemics that lower the risk of virus transmission. Some of the routines that include washing your face are as given below –
First of all, wash your face in the morning before breakfast.
Once, after wearing a face mask, wash your face
Finally, wash your face at night before sleep.
- Apply a gentle cleanser – You can use a gentle cleanser for removing dirt, oil, and excess sweat. Do not use a cleanser, which contains alcohol or perfume due to it may cause skin irritation. So, this makes it a very challenging problem for your symptoms to recover. You can also use a medicated cleanser with benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid in severe cases of maskne. You should also ask your doctor for the best type of medicated cleanser if your skin is sensitive.
- Avoid make-up products – You should not use any cosmetics during treating maskne conditions. This is because several make-up products such as blush, concealer, and many more may block your pores and extend the healing process.
- Apply moisturizer and cortisone with ceramides – You can also apply mild cortisone cream in the affected areas with a moisturizer, which contains ceramides if you are suffering from maskne conditions. It is beneficial in shielding your skin and decrease irritation and itching.
- Apply a non-comedogenic moisturizer – You can also use a moisturizer to maintain the skin hydrated after washing your face. If you use a non-comedogenic moisturizer then it would be beneficial for your skin.
During a pandemic, the mask is essential for everyone but it causes several skin problems due to wear a mask for a long-time including acne with the symptoms of pimples, itching, small bumps, and many more skin problems. There are several tips to prevent several skin problems which are discussed in this blog. If you follow these tips or treatment then prevents several skin problems due to the mask.